A Guy's Card

A card for a guy is always a challenge.  Whether looking in the store for one or making my own, finding the right design and wording is not always an easy task.

The next class for Altenew's Educator Certification Program was for making a card for a guy/boy.  There were great ideas in the class but since my supplies are limited, I needed to think outside the box on what I have.

One idea in the class was using geometric shapes.  The teacher used stamps for her card but I looked and didn't have any geometric shapes to use.  Buuuuuttt....I did have a stencil that had squares and triangles in different sizes.  The stencils are intended to be used to make a quilt design.  I guess a quilt design could be just as good for a guy too but I decided to only use the small rectangles.  


My first step was taking some low tack tape and laid it onto white cardstock ensuring that it is straight.  I then picked out three colors of blue from light to dark.  I lined up one of the triangles in the stencil along the bottom of the tape and used a mini blending brush to ink up the lightest color first.  I then used the opposite triangle and lined that along the tape and right next to the lighter color and inked the triangle in the next darker color.  I then repeated the process with the next triangle being the darkest color then restarting with the lightest color.  I continued that pattern down the card until I was satisfied with the design.

Next, I trimmed down the panel so it would fit nicely onto black cardstock giving it a thin black border.  I then cut three strips of cardstock in different widths in black and two coordinating blue colors and glued them above the design.  There was some excess along the sides so I trimmed them off as well.


Finally, I stamped the sentiment above the strips before adhering the panel to the black panel and then onto a white card base.

(Helpful Hint:  Take a look at your products and think out of the box with them.  They may be intended for one technique but with some creativity you may find several uses for them.)

If you don't have a specific theme in mind for the recipient, this technique may be a good one to keep in mind.

Products used:

Altenew:

  • Quilt Builder Stencils
  • Fresh Die Inks:  Iceburg, Eastern Sky, Ultramarine
  • Heartfelt Sentiments Stamps
What do you think?  Do you find it easy or difficult finding the right card for a guy?  Let me know in the comments below and thank you for stopping by!

Comments

  1. Nicely done! Stencils are a great way to add perceived dimension and texture. Cards for guys tend to be more of a challenge for me as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a fantabulous job on this card! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In The Mood For Color

Color Your Day!

It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas!