A Boutique Card!

Hello wonderful human!

Today's card was a little bit of a struggle...I'm not gonna lie.  The next lesson for Level 1 of Altenew's Educator Certification Program was titled "Clean Simple Boutique Cards." I tried several designs from my collection and struggled because even though they looked ok, I felt that they didn't live up to a boutique style card.  I would add too much extra which meant it wasn't clean and simple.  Or, I just care for my design at all!  That's ok...we learn from mistakes right?  You see, I prefer lots of dimension such a multiple layers and shiny embellishments. But, I did not want to give up and knew magic will happen eventually.  Then, I finally made a one layer card that I felt was boutique worthy.  Here is what I came up with:

Using the Scattered Tiles Builder Stencil Set from Altenew, I lightly layered the first layer with a light gray and then a little darker gray in some spots to give it a gradient effect.  I repeated the steps with the second layer with a medium gray ink and then the darker gray ink.

Next, I took a black fine point marker and drew lines around the stenciled images which gave it a very sketchy look.  I then used two gel pens, one glitter and one metallic, and went over some of the inky blocks in a very random pattern.  So now the card has a couple shades of gray ink, a little glitter and a little shine and it's just enough to say 'oh wow, look at that'.

I finished the card off stamping the sentiment in the darkest gray ink.

I then used the same steps to apply a small section to one corner of an envelope.

Products used:

Altenew:

  • Scattered Tiles Builder Stencil Set
  • Fresh Dye Inks:  Rock Collection (Limestone, Silver Stone, Industrial Diamond, Pure Graphite)
  • Heartfelt Sentiments
Here is the final card and the matching envelope.


Even though this was a challenge for me, I'm glad that I didn't give up and kept at it until I found the right one.  It's artsy, classy, and suitable for any occasion or recipient that I believe you would find in a store or small boutique.

So which side are you on, simple one layer cards or cards with lots of dimension and that 'wow' factor?  Let me know below.

As always, I thank you again for stopping by!

Comments

  1. I adore this card. It is a perfect example of the genre. Best wishes from a fellow 56er (https://carogeo2.wixsite.com/caroscartistry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO brilliant! Looking at this, I can't imagine it ever being a challenge for you! So incredible! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In The Mood For Color

Color Your Day!

It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas!