Beautiful Details
Welcome back!
The next class I decided to do for Altenew's Educator Certification Program was titled "Beautiful Details" with teacher Marika Rahtu. Her artistry is stunning. The way she uses stamps and coloring mediums brings cardmaking to a whole new level and can help anyone not just be a cardmaker but an artist as well.
For today's card, I used techniques learned from Marika to use vellum and color using colored pencils. Here is the card I will be discussing in further detail:
Using the carnation stamp, I stamped the image onto vellum paper using VersaMark ink and heat set that with white embossing powder.
Next, I selected the color palette from the color pencils I had using shades of purple for the flower and green for the stem and leaves.
I first colored in the flower starting with the darkest shade of purple to fill in where the darkest part of the flower would be. I then followed that with the other shades of purple, blending each color as I go colored.
I used the same process for the stem and leaves using shades of green colored pencils.
When I was finished, I felt that they needed a little more shading and a little more light. So, I added a little black colored pencil for the shading in the darker part of the petals and then a white colored pencil onto some petals for some more light.
I then die cut the images using the coordinating dies and set them aside to work on the card panels.
I used the same flower image and lightly stamped two images onto an A2 size white cardstock using a light shade of purple, one towards the top and one towards the bottom leaving some space in the middle.
Using the same ink, I lightly ink blended in an arch motion leaving the middle right side of the panel more white.
I decided to trim the right side down a little so I can leave a white margin on the left.
I cut a piece of purple cardstock and a piece of black glitter cardstock into strips and glued them on top of each other, offsetting them a little so they have the same width.
Using my Stampwheel 2.0, I placed the card base onto the sticky mat and laid the purple card panel and the card strips in place. I fiddled with the flower and the leaf, tucking them under the card strips until I liked the position but left a part of the flower and leaf on top of the card strips. I left everything on the sticky mat while I worked on the sentiment. I used the sentiment that was included with this stamp set. I lined up the sentiment just below and to the right of the vellum flower and made sure it didn't cover up the lightly stamped flower image that is on the card panel. I then stamped the sentiment in black ink.
I then took low tack tape and taped the cardstrips, flower and leaf together and removed them from the mat so I can glue them together. I also removed my panel and cardbase.
I then glued the stamped card panel onto the cardbase on the right side and leaving that same gap I mentioned earlier on the left side. I then glued the cardstrip/flower/leaf image on the left side of the card panel.
I glued some small purple crystal gems and then the card is finished.
Using the different shades of purples and then adding the white on the edge of the petals gave the flower a soft, creamy feel to the flower.
Here is the final card again but I wanted to show you how it looked when I am holding the card so you can get an idea of the size of the card as well as the overall design.
Altenew products used:
- Build A Garden Grand Carnations Stamps and Dies
- Wisteria Ink
- Glitter Cardstock Set - Milky Way - Black Diamond (for the black strip on the left)




This is so gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThank you! One of my favorites so far!
Delete