Level 1 Final Challenge-Her Cards Set
Hello Everyone!
Today, I am very happy to share the second part for my final challenge for Level 1 of Altenew's Educators Certification Program, the Hers Cards Set.
The final challenge I was assigned was to create gift sets of "His" and "Hers" cards using at least three components from what I learned from the courses. Each set needed to be cohesive but vary slightly. I also needed to create packaging for each set in which I need to use a recycled item.
Since this challenge incorporated a lot of information, I've decided to divide the challenge submission into two parts, His Card Set and Hers Card Set. Products used (except for a few) were all from Altenew and I will list what products I used for each card. For both card sets, I decided to use a birthday theme and also used the same product for the her cards and same product for the his cards but used them differently on each card.
Her Cards Set
Here's an overall picture of the four cards I will be discussing in this post:
The main components I followed to make the four cards are as follows:
1) All About Layering 3 (using vellum behind die cuts, add images to edge of card and trim excess)
2) All About Layering 4 (snip die cuts to create various pieces, cut large die cut in half, add bold sentiments)
3) Easy Ink Blending Techniques (ink blended background)
4) Let It Shine (metallic cardstock, embossing powder)
5) Seasonal Scene Building (create beautiful backgrounds, framed scene)
To begin creating this set, I first looked through my supplies to find a product that can be versatile in four different cards. I decided to use my favorite plumeria stamp/die/stencil set from Altenew called Exotic Plumeria.
Next, I needed to decide the color palette. I wanted bright, pretty colors for the flowers so I chose a pink and yellow for the plumerias and greens for the leaves.
I used this same set in each of the cards but used them in different ways and will give details on how I used them.
Card #1:
For this card, I wanted to make a top-folding one layer card. I used an 8 1/2" x 11" white cardstock and cut that in half at 4 1/4". This will give you two sheets measuring 4 1/4" by 11". Then, using my scoring bored, I scored those in half at the 5 1/2" mark. I set one aside for future use.
I then took a sheet of masking paper and placed that along the scored line because I didn't want any ink to appear on the back of the card. I then placed them onto my Altenew Stampwheel 2.0.
I then laid the stamp onto the cardstock where I wanted the first image to appear and stamped that in place using black ink.
I then took another sheet of masking paper and restamped that image onto the masking paper so that I can fussy cut that image out. I fussy cut the image instead of using the coordinating die because I didn't want to have a white border around any of the images.
After fussy cutting the whole image, I now have the image that I can reuse as I make this card or any cards in the future.
I removed the backing from the masking paper and placed that onto the stamped image on the card making sure that it is lined up completely around the image. Next, I placed the stamp in the top left corner and stamped that using a light gray ink.
I repeated this process going around the card to cover up as much space that I can and also moved the masked plumeria image to cover up previously stamped images so that I can stamp over them.
When I've filled in the whole card, I removed the plumeria masking paper and the panel from the platform to get a good look at the whole panel. I left the masking paper that is at the score line in place in case I needed to touch up any areas.
I then needed to add color to the black inked plumeria image and decided to color that using colored pencils.
I used Prisma Color pencils for the flowers and the leaves (914-Cream, 916-Canary Yellow, 928-Blush Pink, 939-Peach, 930-Magenta, 994-Process Red, 913-Spring Green, 908-Dark Green, 909-Grass Green, 935-Black). I went from light to dark and back and forth blending the colors for a soft look. I went back in with the darkest colors to add more dimension to the image. I took a white gel pen to add some bright white onto the flowers as well. I used a black fine line marker to outline the flowers and inside the flowers since the colored pencils lightened up those lines.
I used a light gray alcohol marker to outline the colored image to add a little bit of shading and make it stand out a little more from the other images. I then added a little sparkle onto the flowers using a glitter brush pen. Between the wax from the pencils and the glitter brush pen, there's a nice sheen on the card but only on the colored plumeria.
So, this is the point when I realized that I forgot to add the sentiment in the beginning when I stamped the first plumeria. Since, I still wanted this to be a one layer card, I needed to stamp this directly onto the card and my mistake not be noticeable. I have a sentiment stamp set from Altenew called Bold Sentiments which is a solid black image. If it didn't work out, I would have to die cut the sentiment and add it to the card instead. Thankfully, it did work and the lines from the plumeria stamp underneath are not noticeable!
Products used from Altenew:
- Exotic Plumeria stamp set
- Bold Sentiments
- Fresh Die Ink - Limestone
For this card, I used the same set but I stamped, colored, and then die cut four images.
For the coloring, I used the coordinating stencil set. I lined up the stencil and started coloring the image using yellow ink and a blending brush but only towards the center of the stencils. Without removing the stencil, I used pink ink to color in the ends of the flowers. I continued this process using the rest of the stencils for the flowers.
For the leaves, I used a light green ink for the first stencil, and then a darker green for the second stencil.
After die cutting the four images out, I laid them onto the card panel, deciding how to place them before adhering them. Once I liked the placement. I took one at a time and placed foam tape behind them, removing the protective backing on the foam tape, and placed them back in their original spot.
I then cut off the excess that was hanging over the card panel. Using those extra pieces, I filled in some of the blank spots around the edge of the card.
For the sentiment, I used velum for the shadow layer and glitter cardstock for the top layer. I also used foam tape behind some of the letters so that they will not get crushed and used glue to adhere the other letters that lay on top of the image so that the sentiment is completely secured to the card.
I also used the glitter brush pen to add a little sparkle to the flowers. I then adhered this panel to a side folding white cardbase.
Products used from Altenew:
- Exotic Plumeria Stamp, Dies, Stencils
- Fresh Die Inks: Citrus Burst, Pink Diamond, Just Green Hunter Green
- Timeless Sentiments 2 Die Set
- Glitter Gradient Card Stock Set-Milky Way: Black Diamond
- Exotic Plumeria Stamp, Die and Stencils
- Fresh Die Inks: Fresh Lemon, Pinkalicious, Sweet Leaft, Hunter Green
- Timeless Sentiments Die Set
- Glitter Gradient Cardstock Set-Milky Way: Moonstone
- Exotic Plumeria stamp set
- Sentiment Strips 2
After checking several times that they can easily be removed or put back in, I added double sided sticky tape to the bottom flap and the two side flaps and adhered them together.
.jpg)


.jpg)

.jpg)

.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)


















your cards look absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Love that gorgeously ink blended scene!
ReplyDeleteI am so drawn to the colors in your cards and those plumerias!!! Love your packaging too.
ReplyDelete