Level 1 Final Challenge-His Cards Set

Hello Everyone!

Today, I am very happy to share one of my final challenges for Level 1 of  Altenew's Educators Certification Program.

The final challenge I was assigned was to create gift sets of "His" and "Hers" cards using at least three components from what I learned from the courses.  Each set needed to be cohesive but vary slightly.  I also needed to create packaging for each set in which I need to use a recycled item. 

Since this challenge incorporated a lot of information, I've decided to divide the challenge submission into two parts, His Card Set and Hers Card Set.  Products used (except for a few) were all from Altenew and I will list what products I used for each card.  For both card sets, I decided to use a birthday theme and also used the same product for the her cards and same product for the his cards but used them differently on each card.

His Cards Set

Here's an overall pic of the four cards I will be discussing in this post:

The main components I followed to make the four cards are as follows:

1)  All About Layering 3 (using vellum behind die cuts)

2)  All About Layering 4 (snip die cuts to create various pieces, add bold sentiments, embossing with stencils)

3)  Let It Shine (metallic/holographic cardstock, embossing powder)

4)  Seasonal Scene Building

I enjoy using my products in a different way that was originally intended to get more out of the product.  That's what I did for these cards.

To begin creating this set, I first looked through my supplies to find a product that would be appropriate for a male recipient.  I found a stencil called 'Woven Ribbon Builder' and decided to use the same stencil for each of the cards but inking them in different variations.

Next, I needed to decide the color palette.  I felt using more subdued colors such as grays, blues, browns, and black would be appropriate but I also didn't want them to be dull and dreary (or blingy and flashy) so I needed to be a little creative on how to include some interest onto the cards.

Card #1:


When I decided on the blue color palette and the woven ribbon stencil, I wanted to do a practice piece first to make sure that this was the design I wanted to use for the set.

I took an A2 sized panel of white cardstock and lined up stencil 1 onto the top left corner.  I tacked that down with low tack sticky tape so the stencil will remain in place. I began with the lightest blue color but only filled in a corner of the stencil since this was technically a test piece. 

Following the guide from Altenew, I rotated the stencil 90 degrees and re-aligned the stencil.  After tacking that down again, I then stenciled in some more of the corner using the second shade of blue.  I then repeated the steps with stencil layers 2 and 3 using the other colors of blue.  Since I only used four colors and there are six colors to use for the stencil, I used whatever ink that remained on the blending brush and very lightly filled in the remaining corner of layer 3.

Here is a collage picture of the process building up the ribbons.  The bottom right corner picture of the collage is how the final corner turned out.  I really liked how it was only a partial image.  That's when I decided to repeat the steps in the bottom righthand corner, however I didn't like the last blue ribbon so I made a note to remove that one for the next panel that I created.  I also listed the order of the colors for each stencil so I can remember the process.


After completing a fresh new panel with the ribbons on the corners, I trimmed it down just a smidge in order to adhere that to a coordinating blue card base.

For the sentiment, I die cut the shadow layer in vellum and the happy birthday die cut in a blue metallic cardstock that I had in my supplies adding shine to the card.  Using vellum allows the blue ribbons behind to show through and it also adds a little interest without adding too much bulk or dimension which I didn't want to add to these cards.

Products used from Altenew:
  • Woven Ribbon Builder Stencil set
  • Versatile Greetings 2 Die Set
  • Fresh Die Inks:  Iceburg, Eastern Sky, Ultramarine, Azurite
Here again is final Card #1:
 

Card #2:


For this card, I used the same process as earlier but this time I cut the white cardstock 6" x 6" and stenciled in all three stencils.  I used two blues, three grays, and one black ink for the ribbons.  To add some shine to this card, I decided to do some heat embossing but only used two of the stencils.

For the heat embossing process, I first applied antistatic powder to the whole panel.  Even though I am using clear embossing powder, I didn't want the powder on any other ribbons that I didn't want embossed.  Next, I lined up stencil #1 that I used the Iceberg ink and taped that down to my work surface.  Using a sponge dauber, I applied VersaMark ink onto the whole stencil. 


I then removed the stencil, applied clear embossing powder and melted the powder with my heat gun.  I did this process twice to get a nice, smooth embossed image.


Next, I repeated that same process applying the VersaMark ink to stencil #3 on top of the Silver Stone ink, added the clear embossing powder, heat set that and then set that aside to cool off.

For coming up with the design for the card, I wanted to use the whole panel but wanted more interest and I also needed to include the sentiment.

I decided to do some layering by trimming a piece of black cardstock to allow a white border.  Next, I trimmed another white piece of cardstock smaller than the black panel.  I then cut the completed ribbon panel into fourths and adhered each of them onto black cardstock, slightly offsetting them so that only two edges have the black border.

Using a grip matt to help keep the cardstock in place, I first placed the white panel down, followed by each of the squares leaving a small gap between them.  Once I had them lined up, I tacked them down with low tack sticky tape so they stayed in place until I glued them to the white panel. 


After the glue dried, I then trimmed off the excess that was overflowing the white panel.  I then glued this panel onto the black cardstock and then adhered onto the cardbase.


For the sentiment, I cut a 2" x 2" square white cardstock and turned the square one turn into a diamond shape before stamping the sentiment.  I then glued that onto a slightly larger black cardstock for added border before adhering that to the card.  I carefully lined up the corners so that it fits in nicely in the white spaces.

Products used from Altenew:
  • Woven Ribbon Builder Stencil Set
  • Birthday Builder Stamp Set
  • Fresh Die Inks:  Iceberg, Eastern Sky, Limestone, Silver Stone, Jet Black
Here again is final Card #2:


Card #3:


Card #3 is probably my favorite.  The blue letters just 'pop' on this card.  I didn't use the third stencil for this card and only used four gray colors.  I trimmed this down to an A2 size panel and adhered it to the cardbase.

I then used a black fine line marker and a ruler to outline some of the ribbons, but not all of them.

For the sentiment, I die cut the letters out of blue holographic cardstock that I had in my collection.  I then stamped the lower sentiment in blue ink and after die cutting that out, I used the ink pad and rubbed that along the edges of the sentiment.


I lined up the letters to ensure they were straight and tacked them together using low tack tape.  I then laid them onto the card panel along with the sentiment and adjusted them as needed until I liked the placement.  When they were placed how I liked them, I then glued them down directly onto the panel without adding any additional layers such as foam tape.

Products used from Altenew:
  • Woven Ribbon Builder Stencil Set
  • Bold Alphabet Dies
  • Sentiment Strips 2
  • Fresh Die Inks: Limestone, Silver Stone, Industrial Diamond, Pure Graphite
Here again is final Card #3:


Card #4:


For the final card, I wanted to change it up to a more rustic, earthy feel for someone who is a camper, adventure seeker, outdoorsy type of guy.

First, I stenciled all three stencils onto Kraft cardstock instead of white.  I then adhered that onto a darker brown cardstock leaving a thin border.

I then angled that panel onto a cream card base leaving room for the sentiment and the tree image.  I gently turned those two panels over to keep them aligned.  I then used a pencil to mark lines where I need to trim off the excess.  I then cut that ribbon panel down using my paper cutter.

For the sentiment, I wanted to ink that directly onto the cardbase.  Using my StampingWheel 2.0, I placed the cardbase onto the sticky matt and then laid the ribbon panel back into place temporarily.  I then lined up the sentiment alongside the ribbon panel.  I then removed the ribbon panel and inked up the sentiment a couple times using black ink.


Next, I adhered the ribbon panel to the cardbase and set it aside with a heavy weight block on top to let dry completely and securely.

For the tree, I used three shades of green cardstock and one dark brown cardstock and die cut the images.  Because of Altenew's inventive key-hole system and layering guide, the pieces were a piece of cake to put together.

I then glued the tree onto the panel a little off to the side and trimmed off the excess green pieces.  I used the excess pieces to glue to the bottom of the tree giving the tree some grounding and the look of grass as well.  I then took a C1 Color Gray Copic Alcohol Marker to color around the grassy area for a little bit of a shade.


Products used from Altenew:
  • Woven Ribbon Builder Stencil Set
  • Chestnut Tree Layering Set
  • Birthday Builder sentiment stamp set
  • Fresh Die Inks:  Sand Dunes, Rocky Shore, Mocha, Espresso, Jet Black (I added a dark red color from another company as my final color)
Here again is Final Card #4:


This woven ribbon stencil is so versatile by using each stencil a different way to make completely different patterns.  Along with all the colors on the spectrum, this stencil set has endless possibilities and should be a staple in your card making collection.

Packaging

Since my mother-in-law lives 3 1/2 hours away, when she visits she always brings us goodies.  When she visited a couple months ago, the goodies came in a big brown paper bag that I put away in the pantry and forgot to give back to her.  I decided to use that bag to make a large envelope that will hold all four cards and envelopes.  I will explain the process that I used to make the packaging here in detail with slight variations for the 'hers' cards that you will see in that post.

Here is the bag that I used which was quite large.


I flipped the bag over and started slowly separating the glued flaps until all flaps were separated.  I then used scissors to cut along one of the creases.


Next, I grabbed an envelope from my stash that was larger than the cards and gently separated the glued flaps as well.  I wanted the envelope to be larger so that when I make the template, there will be extra room for the whole set to fit inside.



I then used that now opened envelope and laid it onto the brown bag.  I took my ruler and traced along the envelope, leaving extra room for the bulk of the cards.


I then used scissors to do a rough cut around the traced image instead of directly on the line.  I wanted to make sure that what I have traced out would hold the cards.  I also marked 'BF' on the brown bag which side was the bottom flap of the smaller envelope which will help me keep track when I fold everything together.


Next, I laid all the cards and envelopes on top and started to fold in the sides to see if my design is working using low tack tape to help hold them in along the way.



Once I had the three sides folded in, I tested the cards to see if they can be easily removed.  I then used my paper trimmer to cut along the traced outline so there's a clean edge.


To adhere the flaps, I put double-sided sticky tape onto the bottom flap and the bottom two side flaps.


I then removed the backing on the tape and refolded the flaps together.

Next I needed to make the packaging a little more attractive.  Since I had an extra woven ribbon panel when I was making the cards, I decided to take a tag die and cut a tag from it.  I then took a smaller tag die and cut one from regular white cardstock.  I lined them up together and punched a hole in both and set an eyelet into them.  I ran blue and white twine through that eyelet and around the package three times tying the ends off in a bow.




That concludes my cards for the "His Cards Set" for the final challenge.  I have thoroughly enjoyed learning new techniques from all of the Level 1 classes and even though I may not have incorporated them all into these cards, rest assured that I will use those techniques in my future card creations.

I hope you have enjoyed learning the process behind each of these cards.  What o you think?  Is there a card here that would be great for one of the special guys in your life?

Be sure to check out the second half of my final challenge, the Hers Cards!  https://craftybo.blogspot.com/2025/06/level-1-final-challenge-her-cards-set.html

Comments

  1. oh that "HBD" blue! You are right to have a favourite! That should def be a fav!! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your different takes on the woven ribbon background! Great set of cards!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In The Mood For Color

Color Your Day!

It's Beginning to Look Like Christmas!